Cancer Care Team

A collaborative team of health-care professionals will support you during your assessment, treatment and follow-up care.
Each team member plays a special role. Some of your team members will work directly with you to provide health services and support. Others will help you and your family deal with the physical and emotional impact of cancer or work behind the scenes to ensure you receive high-quality care and support.

Your health care team my include some of the people listed below.

Stock image of Health Care Professionals (c) ShutterStock

Cancer Doctor (Hematologist)

A hematologist is a specialist in hematology, the science or study of blood, blood-forming organs and blood diseases. The medical aspect of hematology is concerned with the treatment of blood disorders and malignancies, including types of hemophilia, leukemia, lymphoma and sickle-cell anemia. Hematology is a branch of internal medicine that deals with the physiology, pathology, etiology, diagnosis, treatment, prognosis and prevention of blood-related disorders

concerned with the study of the cause, diagnosis, treatment and prevention of diseases related to blood.

Cancer Doctor (Oncologist)

An oncologist may look at the areas of your body related to your tumour or illness and ask questions. They will discuss your treatment options with you. They will talk about the risks and benefits of each option. The doctor makes the treatment plan.

The cancer doctor could be one of the following types of doctors:

  • Medical Oncologist: a doctor who treats cancer with chemotherapy (a cancer medicine) and other cancer-related medicine. They can help you with any side effects or discomfort caused by the medicine
  • Radiation Oncologist: a doctor who treats cancer with radiation therapy. They can help you with any side effects or discomfort caused by radiation therapy.
  • Surgical Oncologist: a doctor who treats cancer with surgery. The surgical oncologist may also take a small sample of your lump for testing (called a biopsy). This helps determine if you have cancer and/or what kind of cancer you have


The clerk is your contact person who works in the clinic with your cancer doctor and nurse. You can contact the clerk for any appointment changes or questions.

Clinical Assistants/Physician Assistants

Clinical Assistants/Physician Assistants are specially trained members of the health care team that can examine you and do procedures without the doctor present.
They will ask you questions, look at areas of your body related to your tumour or illness and are able to provide prescriptions for a variety of medications.
Clinical Assistants/Physician Assistants are supervised by the cancer doctor.

Clinical Trials Unit

The Clinical Trials Unit (CTU) facilitates and coordinates clinical research in the areas of prevention, treatment, palliation and quality of life. Data collected from our participation in national and international research has influenced the standard treatments used today. Through clinical trials, patients are provided with the opportunity to access state-of-the-art treatments and to raise the profile of CCMB as a significant contributor to the research being done worldwide.

Of the approximately 120 adult and pediatric clinical trials open to participation each year, the CTU enters an average of 300 new patients while continuing to follow thousands of participants in long-term follow up. Clinical research conducted at CCMB incorporates studies offered through cooperative groups, pharmaceutical companies and in-house research. Patients participating in these studies have access to some of the most innovative and cutting edge treatments, tests or prevention tools available.

Counsellors - Psychosocial Oncology Clinician (PSO)

A Psychosocial Oncology Clinician is a counsellor with specialized training and knowledge in cancer. A PSO provides extra support as needed for you and your family during your cancer journey. They can connect you to support services that are available through CancerCare Manitoba.


A registered dietitian can help cancer patients with questions or problems with their nutrition. They know a lot about cancer and cancer treatments.
They can give you and your family helpful food information. They can work with you if you are experiencing eating challenges caused by your cancer or during your cancer treatment.

Education and Liaison Nurse - Underserved Population Program

Our Education and Liaison Nurse works with patients, families, and healthcare providers who may have additional needs along their cancer journey. Patients and family members can talk directly to the nurse about their journey and available resources. They can assist healthcare providers in obtaining trauma-informed, patient-centered and culturally safe service for their patients, from the point of suspicion of cancer through treatment, follow up and palliative care.

Family Physician in Oncology (FPO)

An FPO is a family doctor who has extra training and experience with caring for people with cancer. At CancerCare Manitoba, many patients see an FPO instead of an oncologist while they are receiving chemotherapy. The FPO has the expertise and time to give you relief from any sickness or discomfort the medicine might cause. The FPO works closely with the oncologist to ensure you get the best possible care

Laboratory Technologists

During the course of your care and treatment, it may be necessary for you to have your blood drawn by a laboratory technologist. Most often the blood tests are drawn before a treatment or a clinic appointment.

Medical Student

A Medical student is a person in medical school learning to become a doctor. They may ask you questions and look at areas of your body related to your tumour or illness. They are supervised by the resident or the cancer doctor.


You will meet a nurse in all areas of your care. You may have a Radiation Oncology Nurse or a Medical Oncology Nurse just to name a few. They will guide your care, ask you questions, and look at areas of your body to check your symptoms or side effects. They will tell you what will happen, teach you about the tests and treatments you need, and will help you with problems you might have because of your illness or treatment.

Nurse Navigator

A Nurse Navigator is a nurse that has extra training in cancer and works at one of the Community Cancer Hubs. A Community Cancer
Hub is a group of cancer experts that diagnose, treat, and care for cancer patients. They help patients and caregivers connect to the next step in the cancer patient journey.

Nurse Practitioner

A Registered Nurse (RN) is a nurse that has extra training who can do full physical exams, order and interpret tests, diagnose, and prescribe medicine. Some people see a nurse practitioner instead of a family doctor.

Patient Representative

CancerCare Manitoba has a patient representative whose role is to actas a liaison between patients, their families and CCMB staff. The patient representative can confidentially address concers, answer inquiries and act on suggestions in a respectful, compassionate and timely manner.
Feedback received by the patient representative helps CCMB to identify areas of concern, design new or modify existing programs, streamline processes and improve the quality of patient care.

For consultations or appointments, call or email:
204-787-2065 or toll free at 1-866-561-1026
Fax: 204-787-2083

Pharmacist and pharmacy assistant

Pharmacists and pharmacy assistants have various roles within the department: answering drug information questions, working withinmulti-disciplinary teams, verifying the preparation of anti-cancer agents, participate in clinical trials, select outpatient dispensing medications.

The pharmacists at CancerCare Manitoba are able to answer questions related to anti-cancer medications, complimentary medications and discuss any questions regarding drug interactions.

Radiation Therapist

Radiation Therapists are involved in the simulation, planning and treatment aspects of cancer therapy involving radiation.  Following the prescription of a physician specializing in cancer treatment (radiation oncologist), therapists use focused beams of radiation to destroy tumours, while minimizing harm to healthy tissues. In addition, therapists play an important role in counselling patients on possible side effects from treatment and providing advice on how to minimize them. 


A Resident is a doctor who is working with your cancer doctor to receive specialized training. The resident can do many tasks that the cancer doctor can do. The resident can examine you and do the procedures without the cancer doctor present. The resident will ask you questions and look at the areas of your body that are related to your tumour or illness. They work closely with the supervising doctor.

Sexuality Counsellor

Many people with cancer experience problems with body image, sexuality or sexual functioning. A certified sexuality counsellor is available to help you with any concerns you may have.

Speech Language Pathologist

A Speech Language Pathologist (SLP) provides assessment, treatment and education if you are having problems with speech, voice, eating and swallowing. They work closely with physicians, nurses, dietitians, and other health care professionals. 


Volunteers contribute more than 25,000 hours each year to help provide excellent patient care in one-on-one situations or behind the scenes. They come from a wide variety of backgrounds, with many of them giving back because they or a loved one has been touched by cancer.