International Childhood Cancer Day

  • 2/12/21 3:00 PM
  • CCMB Communications and Public Affairs

The theme of International Childhood Cancer Day is Better survival is achievable through our hands. The focus is on giving tribute to the children and adolescents with cancer, their bravery, their courage, and their resiliency; we also recognize the mark their lives have on the world and how they shape our shared future.

On International Childhood Cancer Day, we give pause to reflect on the impact that childhood and adolescent cancer has had on so many kids and their families. This impact is profound – emotionally, physically, socially, and financially – and yet through this, many success stories emerge of children who beat their cancer. Approximately 80 per cent of children with cancer become long-term survivors and are ultimately cured. For the other 20 per cent, we continue to fight through research and innovation to achieve our goal of curing all childhood cancer with the minimum number of side-effects and long-term complications. 

Manitoba sees approximately 55 new children with cancer every year. The dedication of an entire team of health care and allied health care workers ensures that Manitoba children can stay in the province while receiving the most up-to-date and innovative therapies available. Together we can make a difference.

Dr. Geoff Cuvelier MD, FRCPC *
Section Head, Department of Pediatric Oncology-Hematology-BMT
CancerCare Manitoba
Director, Pediatric Blood and Marrow Transplant
Manitoba Blood and Marrow Transplant Program

Associate Professor, Department of Pediatrics and Child Health
Rady Faculty of Health Sciences, University of Manitoba