With widespread community transmission of COVID-19 in Manitoba, CancerCare Manitoba (CCMB) will temporarily increase restrictions on patient companions in CCMB facilities.
Reducing the number of people entering CCMB facilities will help reduce the spread of COVID-19 and the risk to patients and staff.
Please note that patient companion cards will no longer be used. Please discard any cards.
Companions will not be permitted for the following types of appointments/visits:
• Regular clinic appointment (exceptions: for a patient's first visit and specific subsequent visits identified by your CancerCare Manitoba team)
• Chemotherapy, radiation therapy and procedures
You may be allowed to have one companion in the following scenarios:
• If you have cognitive challenges
• If you require translation
• If you have significant ambulatory challenges
• Pediatric patients (one parent allowed)
• Specific clinic appointments that are specifically identified by your clinical team
If you are being dropped off for an appointment, CCMB can help assist in the following ways:
• The clinic team can assist by calling your companion on their cell phone if required to alert them that the treatment/visit is complete
• You can use your cell phone to call your companion and have them join the appointment on the phone via speaker phone or virtually (examples: through FaceTime, Zoom or Microsoft Teams)
• You can ask your physician to bring in your companion over Microsoft Teams so they can see and hear what is being discussed during the appointment
If you have questions regarding patient companions, please contact your clinic team.