Mobile Site Community Co-ordinator Checklist
This list is for those who have taken on the task of organizing mobile breast screening in their community.
- Find and book rooms.
- Be available for the site visit (if needed) or arrange an alternative person.
- Be prepared to recommend accommodation and restaurants.
- Inform your facility staff and co-workers that the mobile staff are coming and which rooms they will be using.
- Assist with finding volunteers if needed. Please be aware that our need for volunteers has decreased as women and BreastCheck staff become familiar with the program.
- Make sure the rooms are ready for the staff when they arrive. (Furniture moved if needed, windows covered, 2 chairs and a table for each of the 2 rooms.)
- Welcome staff on the first day and show them the assigned rooms. They work at about 25 sites per year and a friendly face is always appreciated.
- Assist with promotion... Doing one or more of the following can have an impact on whether women will attend. Don't feel you have to do it all alone. Healthy community committees, hospital auxiliaries and public health nurses are usually willing to help.
Here are some helpful tips:
- Provide the program with a current list of women's groups, seniors groups, places of worship, physicians, and pharmacies in your area or update the list the program sends you.
- Put up the posters we send you or ask someone else.
- Talk to women one-on-one when you have the opportunity.
- Mention the mobile BreastCheck at meetings.
- Organize a presentation (we can provide speakers).
- Know where to find breast cancer resources - from promotion videos to support groups.
- Take a moment to visit CCMB's Breast Cancer Centre of Hope. The Breast Cancer Centre of Hope phone number (1-888-660-4866) is a good one to know.
Download a PDF version of "Planning for a community breast screening mobile" by clicking here.
For more information about mobile screening in Manitoba, please contact:
- Kristin Bergen, Manager - Program Development & Education
- Laura Coulter, BreastCheck Mobile Co-ordinator